How to: have a new moon ritual
The new moon is upon us once more - the time to make wishes and get positive about what you want from the coming month. Whereas the full moon encourages us to release and let go, the new moon is all about welcoming in the new. It's important to remember that we still have to work towards the wishes we make in the coming month... if we don't, the full moon can be fraught with tension as we realise we've been distracted from growing the seeds we planted at new moon.
Here's a how to guide for having your own new moon ritual (written for busy people with busy lives, and those seeking simplicity):
1. Create a clean(ish) space - move all the clutter to one side, take the laundry into another room, tidy up magazines, books and papers that are lying around. In short, make your new moon space somewhere you actually want to be.
2. Light a candle or some incense if it suits you, and prepare some herbal tea to drink at the end of your ritual.
3. Sit quietly and comfortably. Close your eyes, and focus on your breath for anywhere between 5 - 30 minutes. In this time, allow the thoughts to pass through the mind without getting attached. If your mind is busy, stay focused on your breath. This allows your mind to begin to settle, as well as allowing the body to relax.
4. After meditating, open your eyes and think about what it is you want from the coming month. You can write or draw down your idea - don't over-think it, just work with whatever is in the forefront, no matter how big or small.
5. Once you have written down your wishes, think about the steps you can take to make them happen. For example, if you wish for more calm in your life, perhaps you can commit to beginning a daily meditation practice, even if it's for just 5 minutes a day. Keep it simple, and remember you don't have to do everything to make your wish come true - just identify a step that's in the right direction.
6. Once you've finished writing or drawing, you can either store your paper somewhere safe, or tear it or burn it (safely!). Do this in the knowledge that you've increased your chances of things coming true by doing it at new moon, a time thought to increase the chance of manifestation.
7. End your evening with celebration - a cup of the herbal tea you prepared earlier, a bath, connecting with a loved on, anything which makes you feel happy.
8. Finally, get an early night! New moon energy can be very heavy, meaning we can feel wiped out at this time, so don't fight the urge to climb into bed early.